Monday, September 10, 2007

childhood drawings #7

lists, lists, and more lists... I would write down songs, turn on the radio, and draw. Each time the song came on, it got checked. Is this ok? Actually, come to think of it, I also did the same thing with my fish. There was a big aquarium in my room, and a really cool big rock in there, it had a hole in the middle. I would write down all the fish names, then each time they swam through the hole, they got a check. Another list was made for cars, they got checked when I saw them drive by. I was a desperate, desperate child. My little mind needed just a bit more than what it received, thus, my own invented world.
My grandfather had some property in Kaufman, and they had a small "lake" made. Hired bulldozers & fish-stockers & everything, and it became the family campground that was close to home. One time the lake overflowed, so they created a spillway. This led to my father's invention of the Spillway Monster, and we heard all about it around the campfire at night. I was terrified, as usual.
Full of vile intentions, but never saw any of them into fruition.


Not only did I write extra sentences, but there is a story written on the back. I was also told by my teacher to "stop writing in curly letters."



This hurts me way more than it hurts you, Dara....




...enforcing the principles of Tough Love at an early age. I stood my ground. All she wanted was a piece of gum and I knew it.





Worm Island, destination of many treasure seekers and pirates worldwide.






Promptly drew this the second my dad came into my room and gave me a plastic engineer's stencil. The shapes you could make from it were endless.







I never got cool enough to have any of these cars. In high school I had to drive whatever clunker my dad would get out of the Auto Trader. I started out in a '76 Buick Regal, I called it The Boat. Long and blue, with a white top. It smoked when you started it and it could fit maybe 200 friends. Second car was a '78 Malibu. My dad said he'd pay for a new paint job. I took it up to English Color in Duncanville and had it done in bright Metallic blue. Anyway, cars and me just don't work. It's just too much. I want a horse.