Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Grampa Jones

My mom's dad, Grampa Jones. The only man in the family that I could identify with. He and my grandmother divorced in the early 70's and he lived the high life every day after that. Traveled all over, had lots of girlfriends.

We got lots of cool things in the mail from him, including catalogs from head shops. My mom complained but he said he thought "Amy would like the colorful pictures." I did! He drove a candy apple red Stingray. Looked like a little hot corvette parked outside our house. When he visited I looked out the window at it. A whole lot. And I was only 7 or 8. What's wrong with me? Ever since a child I've had a thing for fast cars. Like a guy.

Grampa was a pilot in WW2, flew bombers. Got shot down, did some time in a prison camp. He took the time to write his experiences down, which I took and posted in a condensed form, in a blog, a few months ago. Like an idiot, I deleted it, like everything else I've written. He ended up with emphisemia (sp?) in the late 80's, and by the mid-90's he was on oxygen. Couldn't kick the smokes. I loved him.


One day he just put a gun to his head and pulled the trigger. My mom had to fly out there to Reno & clean it all up.



He never did believe in God. I miss him. He was the only man in my family that gave me the time of day, as in, I could tell that he really enjoyed it. I had fun uncles, but that doesn't count. You need a grandfather who treats you special. I've seen his childhood pics, and we look identical. When I pull my hair back, I look exactly the same as he, when he was a boy. My mom says I'm "all Jones" and I take that as a compliment. Goodbye, Grampa. I never did kick my teacher in the shins.